Thursday, November 1, 2007

creating the portfolio for the graduates

A key part of our field is understanding the audience, understanding the user. When you design your portfolio - it is not for your friends. Look at the types of places you really want to work - and mimic the tone, design, language. Create your portfolio for the place you want to work. I once really wanted a job as an IxD for a company in town. I redesigned their entire site, with critique, and sent it with my resume and a cover letter describing what I had done, and why I wanted to work with them.

By Dan Saffer
Sure, you need to have enthusiasm, smarts, and be able to talk about your work. You need to be a personality fit for our company. You need to have the temperament of a designer. You need to have some experience (school or professional). You need to have something interesting about you.

I want to hire people more talented than me, with better ideas than I have. I am a person with good ideas and skills you can use. I'd rather you present one mind-blowing project than two
mediocre ones. Ok, TWO mind-blowing projects (to make sure the first isn't a fluke). :)

No comments: