Friday, October 19, 2007

India innovates: Nivio - a Windows based online desktop

Having been in the services space for about close to 4 years now I have always been waiting for the software as a service concept to become more of a reality in our day to day lie and apart from all the great things that Microsoft has done and is in the process of doing in this space reading about Nivio today certainly made me feel that we are one step closer. What excites me more is that its a bunch of Indians from Delhi who did this. An on-line windows based desktop which could help the user roam his complete desktop including applications and data across machines. It also gets the user out of the buiness of installing and maintaining different applications and dealing with a lot of computer maintenance issues. How they would monetize this is yet to see, but for a beta release it surely seems quite promising, only unfortunate to see all the open office stuff available for free but then again its open office. But the way I look at it, it does have a lot of potential mainly in the small business, student and even a regular PC user of today.. this can open up a complete new avenue for subscriptions, ad sales, application sharing, networking.. the applications are just infinite if done right. Given all these advantages, I guess I would like to see how the whole aspect of security and privacy shapes up in this space.

Although I must say, its quite frustrating that Microsoft could not come up with something like this even after the fact that we actually bought Softricity.. I would blame to the same problem I see in Microsoft - time to market is way to long.. maybe its the bureaucracy or just the way we plan this, it just scares me sometimes. I just hope nobody else beats us to this.

As for now check out more on Nivio at
http://www.nivio.com/

No comments: